Another week and another Official ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 has been leaked. Today we’re going to talk about Android 4.0.3 ICS XXLPS. Please note that this new firmware has been introduced in some countries via Kies, so we are indeed talking about a Samsung OEM ROM, though the XDA community has flagged some bugs. In the following step by step tutorial we will teach you the correct installation procedure, for the ones who do not live in the privileged regions, but are eager to update their phone to the latest firmware. The process is not as complicated as it seems, just follow the below “how to” article and, if you’re here, you must have done it in the past, for beta releases, the only difference now is that this is the Official Release of Android ICS 4.0.3 for Galaxy S2 I9100, the so called XXLPS.
Before we start, remember that you can also find an extensive tutorial on how to Root Galaxy S2 Running XXLPS Android 4.0.3 ICS on onebitzero.com.
What you need to know and do before installing the Official Release of Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPS on your Samsung Galaxy S2:
- note that onebitzero.com will not be held responsible for any damage you might do to your device while and after you install Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPS on your Samsung Galaxy S2. Installing/Updating an Android device to a new firmware, with Odin, is not a job for begginers, even though we will try to explain it as clear as possible, so please continue at your own risk!
- you should charge the battery of your Galaxy S2 to 100%, just to be on the safe side.
- enable USB debugging on your device by following this path: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. Check the box for USB debugging.
- back-up all relevant data on your smartphone as messages, contacts, multimedia files and internet settings.
- install the latest USB Drivers for the Galaxy S2 on your PC. Click here for Windows 32-Bit and here for Windows 64-bit.
Enough with the small talk, let’s begin the updating procedure.
How to install Official Release of Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPS on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download XXLPS Android 4.0.3 Firmware [Link] on your computer. It’s 381.4 MB in size so you better be patient, especially if you’re using a slow connection.
- Extract the zip file on your PC. You should be getting a file with the following name: I9100XXLPS_I9100OXALPS_I9100XXLPS_HOME.tar.md5
- Open Odin. If you don’t have Odin installed on your computer, you can get it form here.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy S2 in Download Mode. How? Shut down your phone and wait until it is completely shut down (it vibrates), press Volume Down + Center key and, while holding down these two keys, press the Power button. When the phone boots, you should be seeing the Android logo, the Droid in a triangle shape icon, this means that you are in Download Mode. If you boot and do not see the little Droid logo, repeat the procedure.
- Once you get into Download Mode, connect your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to the PC. In Odin, the ID : COM section should turn yellow and you should see “Added!!” in the Message box.
- In Odin, click on PDA and select file I9100XXLPS_I9100OXALPS_I9100XXLPS_HOME.tar.md5. This file should have been unzipped in step 2 from the archive you downloaded in step 1.
- Click on Start and Odin will Flash your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPS in less than 10 minutes. Note: if Odin freezes and you don’t see the PASS message, which means that it has finished the job, do not panic, disconnect the device from the USD cable, remove the battery, close Odin, re-insert the battery, reboot in Download mode and repeat the procedure from step 5. After Odin finishes the procedure and you see the welcome screen, you need to turn off the phone in order to reboot in Recovery Mode. To enter Recovery Mode, on the Galaxy S2, go for Volume Up + Center button, and while holding both keys down, push the Power Button.
- Once in Recovery Mode, select Wipe data/factory reset then Yes in the next screen, Wipe Cache partition and Yes again and reboot by selecting Reboot System Now.
That’s it! If you followed correctly this step by step tutorial you should now have XXLPS Android 4.0.3 ICS on your Galaxy S2. Let us know your first impressions in the below comment section.