No official Android 4.0 ICS for Samsung Galaxy S I9000 yet but the Korean tech giant has decided to roll out a new Gingerbread for its first Galaxy smartphone: XXJW4 2.3.6 Value Pack. This new firmware comes with a lot of great features and technical improvements like Face Unlock, built-in TouchWiz 4, ICS Lockscreen, a new kernel with better RAM (364), Photo Editor, faster Auto-Rotation, an improved Camera interface and the possibility to capture photos when shooting videos, better overall speed, better GPU performance and updates to some Google Apps.
Samsung promised that XXJW4 2.3.6 Value Pack will be available via Kies as soon as possible therefore we have no specific launch date. From experience, “soon” for Samsung might mean in a week or close to November, especially if you’re not leaving in Europe or Korea. Do not despair though, we will show you in in the below article how to download and install XXJW4 2.3.6 Value Pack on your Galaxy S I9000 without Kies and using Odin. The procedure is simple but you have to make sure you follow it step by step.
What you need to know and do before downloading and installing the XXJW4 2.3.6 Value Pack on your Samsung Galaxy S I9000:
- note that onebitzero.com will not be held responsible for any damage you might do to your device while and after you install XXJW4 2.3.6 Value Pack on your Samsung Galaxy S I9000. Installing a new firmware on an Android device via Odin requires caution, so please continue at your own risk!
- charge the battery of your Galaxy S GT I9000 to 100%, to be on the safe side.
- back-up all relevant data like messages, contacts, multimedia files and internet settings on your device. As XXJW4 2.3.6 Value Pack will not be installed via Kies, you need to back up your data using 3rd party apps from Google Play.
- if you are not on Gingerbread anymore and you’re using a custom ROM you need to:
- turn off your device and boot into recovery mode (hold the Volume UP + Menu buttons down and push the Power key)
- once in Recovery mode, select “wipe data/factory reset” > ”Yes”. Then, select “wipe cache partition” and “reboot reboot system now”.
- important: if you’re using the Dalvik virtual machine, you also need to enter into Advanced Settings in Recovery mode and clear the Dalvik Cache. Also you need to disable the Voodoo Lag Fix if you have been using it.
How to install XXJW4 2.3.6 Value Pack on the Samsung Galaxy S I9000, step by step tutorial:
- Download [link] XXJW4 2.3.6 Value Pack to your PC.
- You’ll get a zip file, extract it on your PC.
- Once the zip file is extracted, open Odin.
- Turn Off the Galaxy S I9000 and reboot it in Download mode. In order to reboot in Download mode, you need to push the Volume Down + Menu button down, and, at the same time, press the Power button. You’ll know that you booted in Download mode if the first screen you see is the hard working green android. If you land in normal mode and you get the S logo, you need to redo step 4.
- In Download Mode, connect your Galaxy S to the PC via the USB cable. Check ODIN and you should be able to see the ID:COM section turning yellow and a message in the Message area: “Added!!”. If you don’t get these two flags it means that ODIN cannot connect to your device and you need to install the latest USB drivers on your PC.
- In ODIN, click on “PDA” button, navigate to “JW4_JW4_JW4.tar” (which is in the archive you unzipped at step 2) and select it.
- Click on “Start” and ODIN will work its magic and install XXJW4 2.3.6 Value Pack on your Samsung Galaxy S I9000.