Samsung Vibrant has always been in the center of attention when thinking about devices receiving custom ROMs and I think this is because of the similarities it shares with the worldwide known Galaxy S. And as Samsung has not yet released its latest firmware for the above mentioned device, the XDA modders community have rushed to bring the ICS experience to the owners of this popular smartphone. There have been many attempts and today we will focus on the latest one, the RMS ROM, which is based on the Android 4.0.4 IMM76I and a similar custom ROM for the Galaxy S.
According to the developer, there are many things that work perfect on the RMS ROM and below you can find a list of these features. It seems pretty reliable and could be used on a daily basis.
- “Improved notification bar toggles: long press a toggle to go to related Settings menu; multi-state sound toggle.
- Numeric battery indicator.
- Brightness control in status and notifications bars
- Real and improved autobrightness: brightness really goes down when light decreases.
- Extended power menu with reboot, recovery and screenshot.
- Video face effects working
- Application killing with long press on back button
- Choose storage in Camera application
- Power button shooter in Camera application
- Timer option in Camera application
- T9 Dialer
- Removed “R” roaming indicator for national roaming
- Root, Busybox and SuperSU
- SUB ZERO Voodoo Color
- HugeMem patch for 720p video by F4K
- Preinstalled app: OI File Manager
- APN’s predefined huge list
- Modified hosts file to remove ads in applications.“
Also, you need to keep in mind that this is a work in progress and you might find some annoying bugs. If you like this custom ROM and plan on keeping it on your Vibrant, make sure you report them on the developer’s page and we’re sure he’s going to fix them in future updates.
What you need to know and do before downloading and installing RMS ROM (ICS 4.0.4 IMM76I) on your Samsung Vibrant:
- note that we will not be held responsible for any damage you might do to your device while and after you install this custom ROM. Installing a custom ROM on an Android device requires caution and a certain amount of knowledge, so please continue at your own risk!
- first, you need to install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- charge the battery of your Samsung Vibrant to at least 70%, to be on the safe side.
- back-up all relevant data like messages, contacts, multimedia files and internet settings on your device.
- go here and download the official Google Apps (Gmail, Google Play, etc). As this is a custom ROM, you will not get these apps pre-installed.
How to install RMS ROM (ICS 4.0.4 IMM76I) on your Samsung Vibrant:
- go here and download the latest ROM uploaded by the developer.
- connect your device to the PC and transfer the file you downloaded in step 1 & the Google Apps zip to the internal SD memory.
- disconnect the Vibrant, turn it off and boot into CWM. In order to do so, you have to press Volume UP + Home + Power at the same time.
- once in Clockworkmod recovery, you have to use the Volume UP and Volume DOWN keys to navigate through the menu. Select “wipe data/factory reset” > “Yes“.
- next, go for “install zip from sdcard” > “choose zip from sdcard” and navigate to the first file you transferred in step 2 (the custom ROM not the Google Apps!). RMS ROM will start to be installed on your device.
- once the installation process finishes, select ”choose zip from sdcard” again but this time navigate to the Google Apps zip.
- at the end, go back to the CWM main menu, choose “fix permissions” > “go back” >”restart system now”
And that’s it! If you followed this step by step tutorial your Samsung Vibrant should now be running on the RMS ROM ICS 4.0.4 IIM761 ROM.