Galaxy Nexus I9250 received its well deserved MIUI ROM update, which is now based on on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. In the following article we will teach you how to safely install the above mentioned custom ROM, so make sure you follow the instructions step-by-step, or else you risk causing irreversible damage to your phone.
Alongside CyanogenMod, MIUI is one of the best Android modders teams out there, creating beautiful and functional ROMs for users all around the world. Lately, they launched a stable pack for the Galaxy Nexus which, not only comes with incredible visual updates, specific to MIUI, but also with great Android 4.1 functionality based features.
Here is a list of fixes and features (source):
- Optimise the telephone recording interface prompt position adjustment (720P devices)
- Fix deleted contacts, T9 search can still find contact entries when searching
- Added on first load of application contacts, you can direct the use of Xiaomi account contacts
- Optimise large font mode, the phone records will show the effect
- Optimisation of large font mode, contact details page “Name” and “work info” display
- Optimisation, no longer display the menu of options for “Group” and “Favorites” page or “bulk delete”
- New video player UI
- Optimisation on the phone icon and display
- Optimise slide left to view picture, jumping interface problems
What you need to know and do before downloading and installing MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1 on your Galaxy Nexus:
- note that we will not be held responsible for any damage you might do to your device while and after you install this custom ROM. Installing a custom ROM on an Android device requires caution and a certain amount of knowledge, so please continue at your own risk!
- first, you need to install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery.
- charge the battery of your Galaxy Nexus to at least 70%, to be on the safe side.
- back-up all relevant data like messages, contacts, multimedia files and internet settings on your device.
- download the official Google Apps (Gmail, Google Play, etc). As this is a custom ROM, you will not get these apps pre-installed.
How to install MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1 on your Galaxy Nexus:
- go here and download the latest ROM uploaded by the developer. The file name is miuiandroid_maguro-2.8.17.zip.
- connect your device to the PC and transfer the file you downloaded in step 1 & the Google Apps zip to the internal SD memory.
- disconnect the Galaxy Nexus, turn it off and boot into CWM. In order to do so, you have to press Volume UP + Home + Power at the same time.
- once in Clockworkmod recovery, you have to use the Volume UP and Volume DOWN keys to navigate through the menu. Select “wipe data/factory reset” > “Yes“.
- next, go for “install zip from sdcard” > “choose zip from sdcard” and navigate to the first file you transferred in step 2 (the custom ROM not the Google Apps!). MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1 will start to be installed on your device.
- once the installation process finishes, select ”choose zip from sdcard” again but this time navigate to the Google Apps zip.
- at the end, go back to the CWM main menu, choose “fix permissions” > “go back” >”restart system now”
And that’s it! If you followed this step by step tutorial your Galaxy Nexus should now be running on the MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM.