Amazon’s Kindle Fire took the tablet market by storm and, soon after launch, became one of the best sold devices in the world. Naturally, we’ve seen several attempts to create Android custom ROMs for this tablet, but many of them were unstable and full of bugs. In general, moders forget a simple fact: the Fire does not pack the power of an Asus Transformer, therefore the ROMs must be light and in sync with Amazon’s philosophy, simplicity. Finally, XDA forum user Hyperrunner got the idea and created our favorite custom ROM for Kindle Fire so far: Simple CM9. Based on Android 4.0 ICS, it has been stripped out of most of the useless features the normal CM9 has like: Voice apps, Live Wallpapers, CM Wallpapers, Androidian Theme, many useless ringtones, Alarm Tones, Spare Parts, Facelock, many of the languages, Video Editor, Google Talk, Voice Search, Nagging Setup Wizard, News and Weather, Bug Reporting and Feedback.
Looking at the above list of missing features, you might like to find out that the whole package is now less than 100 Mb and the ROM offers almost immediate shutdown, volume slider in notification, extremely good battery life, great smooth performance, Beats Audio and TweakZV6.
Though it is in testing and improving stage, Simple CM9 is pretty stable and can be used on a day to day basis. The most annoying bug so far is that the device might not charge using the AC power cable and you’ll have to use the USB cable instead.
What you need to know and do before downloading and installing Simple CM9 on your Kindle Fire:
- note that we will not be held responsible for any damage you might do to your device while and after you install this custom ROM. Please continue at your own risk!
- first, you need to install a custom recovery like TWRP. You can download a very powerful tool that downloads and installs TWRP recovery aromatically.
- charge the battery to at least 50%, to be on the safe side.
- do a back-up of your contacts, SMS, bookmarks before you carry one with the installation process.
How to install Simple CM9 on your Kindle Fire:
- navigate here and download the zip file uploaded by the developer.
- connect your device to the PC and transfer the file you downloaded in step 1 to the internal SD memory.
- disconnect the Kindle Fore, turn it off and boot into TWRP. In order to do so, you have to press the Power button and until it switches on, and when you see the triangle on the screen, press the Power button again.
- next, go for “wipe” > “Factory reset” to delete all the installed apps and data (note that the SD card will remain untouched).
- now go back and tap on “Install” and select the file you copied on you Fire at step 2.
- once the installation process finishes, at the end, select “Reboot” > “System” to boot into CM9.
That’s it! If you followed the above step by step tutorial you should now have the Simple CM9 Custom ROM on your Kindle Fire, enjoy!