The Barnes & Noble Nook Color, or the archrival of the famous Amazon Kindle Fire, is without doubt one of the top e-book readers on the market. Some would even consider it a tablet but looking at the competition, I wouldn’t go there. With its TI OMAP 3621 CPU clocked at 800MHz, 512MB of RAM and 8GB of flash storage it has the potential to go into battle against the low end tablets yet it cannot be compared to devices like the new iPad or the Asus Transformer 2.
From a software point of view, the above mentioned gadget runs on a customized version of Android, and as all such devices, the Nook Color can be rooted. In the below article we will present to you a tutorial on how to root firmware versions 1.4.1 and 1.4.2. Please note that if your Nook runs on any other versions besides the ones mentioned, the procedure will not work.
What you need to know and do before rooting your Nook Color on 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 firmware versions:
- note that onebitzero.com will not be held responsible for any damage you might do to your device while and after you root your Nook Color so please continue at your own risk!
- note that rooting you Nook Color will void your warranty!
- charge the battery of your device to at least 70%, to be on the safe side.
- go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging and and make sure that USB debugging is enabled.
How to root the Nook Color on 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 firmware versions, step by step tutorial:
- Go here and download the the zip file on your computer.
- Connect the Nook Color to your PC and copy file “Manual Rooter 5.02.19 zip file” on the internal memory of your device.
- Disconnect the e-book reader from the computer and reboot it into recovery mode.
- Once in recovery mode, select install zip from SD Card > Yes, then go to the file you downloaded in step 1 and copied on the internal memory of your Nook Color in step 2 and select it.
- The procedure will start and once all is done your device will reboot in normal mode automatically.
When it reboot your Nook Color should be rooted and you will be able to enjoy apps that require this functionality.