The Galaxy S3 has just launched and one thing is certain, everybody ones one. It has some impressive features, both technical and visual but also it comes with a spicy price. Let’s face it, not all of us will be able to afford one and the XDA community has worked hard in order to offer to us, to the less fortunate, the Galaxy S3 experience on our present devices. Today we are going to talk about ICSGS3, a custom ROM based on the Android Ice Cream Sandwich, built especially for the Galaxy S I9000, which looks similar to the ROM used on Samsung’s current quad-core flagship. It has gotten some solid reviews and it seems to be worth spending some time on it.
Of course, not all the applications will look identical to the original ones used on the SGS 3, but here is a list of themed applications available on the ICSGS3:
- Opera Mini
- Google Talk
According to the developer, the Video Camera, the High Definition Video Playback, the Vibrator and some “other minor stuff” are currently not available in the latest version but the Beats audio software has been inserted as a free addon.
What you need to know and do before downloading and installing ICSGS3 on your Galaxy S I9000:
- note that onebitzero.com will not be held responsible for any damage you might do to your device while and after you install this custom ROM. Installing a Custom ROM on an Android device requires caution and a certain amount of knowledge, so please continue at your own risk!
- first, you need to install the latest stock firmware (Value Pack) - XXJW4.
- second thing you need to do is root the above mentioned firmware in order to obtain Clockworkmod recovery. You can search the rood method via Google or you can download this file and flash it with Odin using the PDA section (advanced users only!)
- charge the battery of your Galaxy S to at least 70%, to be on the safe side.
- back-up all relevant data like messages, contacts, multimedia files and internet settings on your device.
How to install ICSGS3 on Galaxy S I9000 , step by step tutorial:
- Download the latest version of the above mentioned custom ROM from here.
- Connect your device to the PC and transfer the file you downloaded in step one to the internal SD memory.
- Disconnect the I9000, shut it down and reboot into CWM. You need to press Volume UP + Home + Power at the same time in order to do that. Once in Clockworkmod recovery, you have to use the Volume UP and Volume DOWN keys to navigate through the menu.
- Go for “wipe data/factory reset” > “Yes“.
- Once the data wipe process is complete, “selectinstall zip from sdcard” and navigate to the file you transferred in step 2.
- You now need to confirm by selecting “Yes – Install *****.zip”
- The installation process will start and the device will reboot a couple of times before completion. Do not panic, this is normal. If it freezes you simply need to redo steps 5 and 6.
- Once the installation is complete, select ”go back” > “reboot system now”
That it! If you followed the tutorial step by step you have successfully installed a Galaxy 3 themed ROM on your Galaxy S I9000 – the so called ICSGS3. Let us know how it went.