HP has rolled out today an update to their already claimed dead webOS platform, reaching version 3.0.4.
HP continues to deliver its promises by updating the WebOS for TouchPad, even after the announcement of ending the production of the TouchPad. The proof of it is the 3.0.4 update of the operating system, which offers new features to the owners of the HP TouchPad.
This update, the first HP has released since last August, made several major additions to webOS. One of the most interesting is probably the one that gives you the possibility to answer calls from the TouchPad, by connecting a phone that does not have webOS to the tablet, via the integrated Bluetooth connection.
At the same time, the connectivity with Bluetooth keyboards has also been optimized. As for the rest of the additions in the webOS 3.0.4 update, there is a new application dedicated to photo and a video, OGG Vorbis file support, support for online status and Offline messaging, lots improvements in the user interface and a better management of the tablet’s performance.
Ari Jaaksi, head of the WebOS and services division over at HP, said in a blog that the update is automatically downloaded (53 MB) on the TouchPad. He noted that the catalog included 1000 applications.
Please take into consideration the fact that after updating your HP touchpad to webOS 3.0.4, it does no longer offer the multiboot feature, which could turn out to be a problem for users who have previously installed Android operating system. Modifications are still available on the Internet to reinstall the multiboot after the update though.
You can find a detailed list of what improvements does the webOS 3.0.4 update contain, below.
* Inline rendering of HTML 5 video is now Supported.
* SDL Improved performance in rotated screen mode.
* Fixed bugs Affecting SEVERAL third-party applications Synergy .
Enyo Framework *
* Fixed problem with DatePicker controls’ Returning incorrect date.
* When filling out a form, if the user tabs to a form element behind the keyboard, the scene now scrolls to keep the field Focused visible Above the keyboard.
* Corrected selection of positioning box Displayed in response to a tap and hold on a word.
RowGroup.destroyControls * () is now working Properly.
* Fixed issue in Which year HtmlContent control inside a Scroller Would not Prevent from Being Followed links while scrolling.
Enyo * Applications
* The Browser app now hides the keyboard When The Bookmark pane IS shown.
* Fixed issue in Year Which Were not touch events Passed Correctly to Web sites.
* Contacts synced via a third-party app Synergy Can Be now deleted the after the app Itself IS deleted.
* Google Location Services now work for locations in the Southern Hemisphere.
Tools and Installers
* The folder PalmSDK has-been reorganized to make docs and samples Easier to find.
* No Longer palm-emulator displays an error dialog When Launching with VirtualBox 4.1.2.
* Generates now generate palm-Enyo apps (Mac and Linux only in this build ). That note generated in Enyo apps, the (full) path to enyo.js Will Need To Be specified in index.html in order for the app to load in a desktop browser. For example, on the Mac, this would be “/ opt/PalmSDK/Current/share/framework/enyo/1.0/framework/enyo.js”.
New code samples the Following Have Been added:
* Accelerometer – Demonstrates getting accelerometer, shaking, and orientation events.
InputSample * – Integrated the Existing multitouch sample.
* Media – Added new Video Object demo, Which Demonstrates use of year HTML5 video object to play video with inline controls and custom sizing control.
* MediaCapture – Demonstrates the new media capture APIs for sound, video, and images.
* Services – Added Media Indexer sample.
* WebView – Added example of Intercepting link clicks and redirecting.
ZeroConf * – Demonstrates the ZeroConf system service. ZeroConf That Is A discovery protocol lets you find services on the local network Without Having to Have a DNS or directory listing.
* Fixed bug in the app Which, After Being Launched in Exhibition Mode, Could not be relaunched in app mode.
* Fixed issue db8 schema version.
* Known Issues and Limitations
* SDL apps May hang due to polling Problems with new sensors.
* May SDL apps crash When blitting to or from a null surface. Underlying the issue has-been and Will Be Identified fixed in the next SDK release.
Credits for the release notes go to the source.