This tutorial will show you how to unlock your AT&T iPhone while keeping the jailbreak.
As you might already be aware, AT&T has offered to unlock your iPhone, without paying anything for this action. Of course, you have to fulfill some of the conditions imposed by this carrier. But that’s not the subject of our post here. Instead we will show you how to benefit from the AT&T offer to unlock your iPhone, but without losing the jailbreak you have done on your device.
We have observed that most of our readers are afraid of letting AT&T to unlock their iPhones because the jailbreak could be lost while applying this procedure. And that’s because the unlock process is being done by an iTunes restoration.
However, Redsn0w has thought this issue could appear and they have already prepared a solution which will keep the untethered jailbreak even after your iPhone has been unlocked from AT&T. The most targeted iOS version here is, obviously, iOS 5.1.
Below, you will find an easy to follow tutorial which will describe all the steps that you have to accomplish in order to unlock your AT&T iPhone but without having to lose the jailbreak (including untethered jailbreak on iOS 5.1).
First of all you have to submit a request to AT&T so they could allow the unlock process on your iPhone. In order to accomplish this process, please follow the next few steps:
1. Go in the Settings menu of your iPhone, head to the General Area and tap on the About tab. The IMEI of your device will now be displayed. Write it down in your agenda.
2. Now you have to access AT&T website, log-in using your account information and head to the Wireless Support Chat.
3. The operator will ask you to provide the IMEI of your iPhone.
4. After a maximum of 72 hours AT&T will send you an e-mail in which you will be announced that you can unlock your iPhone and you will also receive the instructions on how to do this, in the same e-mail message (just open iTunes and while the computer is being connected to the internet chose the backup and restore option).
Now let’s see how to deal with the jailbreak on your AT&T unlocked iPhone.
1. Redsn0w for Windows and for OS X needs to be downloaded, depending on which type of computer you are using. If you are a Windows user, also you have to make sure that this application is being opened with administrator privileges.
2. When the Redsn0w is being opened, click on the jailbreak button. In fact, we are not going to jailbreak your device, so there is no need to worry here.
3. You will be indicated by this utility how to enter your AT&T iPhone in DFU mode. Follow the instructions.
4. Now it’s time to un-check the ‘Install Cydia’ option but to check the ‘Deactivate’ feature.
5. Your iPhone needs now to be connected to the PC. Use iTunes for this. You will notice that the application will ask you to activate your device as you have done for the first time you bought it. It is very important in this step to use only the USB cable. Don’t try to connect using the WiFi feature. There is no need to restore when the unlock is being done during activation.
As you might observed things are not so easy anymore when it comes to downgrading from different firmware. In the past it was enough just to overwrite the firmware that you needed. Now, the Cupertino based company invests a lot of resources to block any kind of intrusion in their own operating system.
But, we shouldn’t worry too much, because there are always smart developers which will find a way to do that. And, based on this idea, we are quite confident that soon we will have also an untethered jailbrerak for ipHones or iPads running on iOS 5.1, too.
We hope that our tutorial on how to unlock AT&T iPhone without loosing the jailbreak will help many of our readers. If you have questions on this procedure, you can post them here.