In this tutorial you will learn how to root your Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 (sold in US by AT&T, TELUS or BELL)
AT&T will make available today, in US, the new Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717. Therefore we thought it is a good idea to show you how to root this smartphone.
Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 has been released in January 2012 and will be sold in US by AT&T, BELL, TELUS.It has some impressive sizes therefore the display measures no less than 5.3 inches with a resolution of 800 x 1280 pixels. Of course, this is a capacitive display, featuring the SuperAMOLED technology, with 16M colors. The TouchWiz user interface is also present here.
Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 has 16GB internal storage and the possibility to insert a microSD card of up to 32GB memory space.
On the performance side, we have to admit that this is one impressive machine. The chipset in Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 is a Qualcomm MSM8660 Snapdragon and it works with a dual core 1.5 GHz Scorpion processor and an Adreno 220 GPU. The amount of 1 GB of RAM memory is, kind of normal, nowadays, but havin in mind the processing power that this phone owns, we expect to run the hardest applications which are available nowadays.
On the multimedia side, we can just say that we have to deal with standard Samsung experience: 8 MP back camera, 2 MP frontal camera, ability to play 1080p videos etc.
The connectivity is ensured by a WiFi connection, HSDPA and LTE internet connections, and some other standard connectivity features like DLNA, Bluetooth etc.
How To Root Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717?
Before starting the root tutorial for Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717, please make sure you back-up all the data you have in your device.
In order to accomplish the root process for Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717, you will be using a .tar file, the ODIN utility and the latest drivers for your device, which you can download from here.
Depending on the policy that Samsung has in your country, the warranty of your smartphone might be lost if you proceed with this tutorial. Also, please note that our team is not responsible if your device suffer any damages while performing this process. Please make sure you know what the rooting action means for your phone and proceed with this if you are certain that this is the right thing to do.
Root tutorial for Galaxy Note
- The first thing you need to do is to download PDA.tar . In order to find it easily, save this file on your desktop.
- The ODIN 1.85 must be downloaded, too. ODIN is an application which will help us to flash the kernel of our Galaxy Note. After downloading the archive, make sure you extract its content in a folder where you could find it easily.
- Shut down your smartphone. Your Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 should be entered in download mode. To do that, you need to hold simultaneously the following two buttons: Volume Down and Power. After this, on the phone’s display you will receive a message which will ask you to press on Volume Up button. Do that, and your smartphone will enter in download mode.
- ODIN will now announce you that it has detected your Galaxy Note (presuming that you have already connected to your PC).
- In this utility you have to click on the PDA button and then select the PDA.tar file which you have downloaded in the first step of this tutorial.
- You need to click on the Start button, in ODIN, in order to proceed with the root process. Don’t worry if your Galaxy Note will shutdown itself and re-start a couple of times. That’s the normal procedure.
- At the end of this process, head to Android Market, then search and download the SuperUser application
You will now be able to install all kind of applications which, in a normal way, would not work on un-rooted devices. Therefore, please make sure that your actions are responsible and will not damage your Galaxy Note.
This was the entire process you needed to follow in order to root your Android 2.3.6 Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 (sold by AT&T/ TELUS/ BELL).
This is the source for our tutorial. You can find here many interesting details, too.
If you have any questions or if you are satisfied by this tutorial, please leave us a comment here.