HTC Desire S just received an update of its mobile operating system and user interface, Sense . These two updates are Gingerbread 2.3.5 and 3.0. And as the good news has coae at once, I propose a detailed tutorial for S-OFF, Roots and install Custom Recovery on your HTC Desire S.
The smartphones of the Taiwanese company are a bit more complex than others. They have a protection called S-ON, which is a form of signature introduced by HTC to protect against the partitions of the Smartphone Flash or modification.
So to have all the privileges of a superuser, it must takes more than a root process on HTC phones. You need to switch the protection on or off.
This tutorial will be splitted in two stages: the first is to remove the protection, therefore the S-OFF, the second will root your HTC Desire S. The latter is actually a very simple process.
You will be shown in this tutorial how to accomplish the S-OFF, root and install Custom Recovery on your HTC Desire S. Remember that if you don’t follow carefully the entire tutorial, your device might suffer serious damages. Also, you should know that the warranty of your device might be voided, too. Do not continue unless you know what you are doing and if you are willing to accept the consequences because our team will only be liable if the process does not follow its course normal.
Note: Also remember before beginning this root process to make a backup of your data, photos, documents, sync contacts with Gmail and copy your 3G settings. Make sure your HTC Desire S is loaded, at least 70% to avoid extinction in the process, something that could damage your equipment
I. S-OFF HTC Desire S
- Determine the serial number ” Serial Number “on your HTC phone. It is possible to locate the battery. After you have found the S / N, make sure you copy that number correctly.
- HBOOT determine the version of your HTC Phone. To do this, turn off your Desire S, then restart it in bootloader mode by performing a long press on Volume Down (-) and Power (ON / OFF) for a few seconds. Copy the version number HBOOT.
- Turn your normal HTC Desire S
- Download su-126.96.36.199-efgh-signed.zip . Copy the downloaded file in the Root of your SD card (not a folder or subfolder) and do not unpack.
- Turn on USB debugging in the settings of your HTC Desire S (Settings> Applications> Development> USB Debugging).
- Disable Fast Boot in the settings (Settings> Power> Fast boot).
- Download and install the HTC Sync drivers on your PC ( download here ) – HTC Sync Windows drivers.
- Head to http://revolutionary.io and download the Windows version of the Revolutionary: S-OFF & Recovery Tool 0.4pre4.
- Once you click on the link, a window appears asking you to use a form to return a Beta Key (a key you use for your S-OFF HTC Desire S).
- Use the form specifying your operating system (Windows), the name of your HTC phone (HTC Desire S), the version of HBOOT (step 2) and the serial number (step 1), then click Generate Key (Generate Key)
- Unzip and extract-Revolutionary 0.4pre4.zip on your desktop.
- Connect your HTC Desire S via USB cable. If your smartphone asks you to choose a connection type, select “HTC Sync”
- Run “revolutionary.exe”, a command is displayed prompting you to enter the beta key generated in step 10.
- Copy and paste the Beta key and press Enter to continue the process.
At the end of the process, revolutionary will allow the S-OFF mode on your HTC Desire S. If the current process asks you to install Recovery ClockworkMod, you need to approve this.
Restart your smartphone and turn it off.
II. HTC Desire S Root
Restart your phone (using HTC Bootloader Mode Volume Down (-) and Power (ON / OFF) for a few seconds). Use the volume keys to select the list and Recovery Mode ” install zip from sdcard “then” Choose zip from sdcard “.
- Browse and select the SD card with Power “su-188.8.131.52-efgh-signed.zip” (step 7). The process takes some time. So you have to wait.
Eventually the process will restart your Android Phone .
The Root process is a simple process but the remaining portion is a bit complex which consists of S-OFF your device. So I ask you to respect the order of steps to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
Good luck and share with us your impressions!