This tutorial shows you how to root your HTC One S, running on Android ICS 4.0.3.
HTC One S has all the characteristics with which a top Android smartphone should come on the market: a beautiful case, an OLED 4.3 inch display and a new super-fast camera. The new One series from HTC is so ambitious that the S model has only to be happy with the second place, behind its big brother, the X model.
HTC One S is using a dual core 1.5 GHz processor which proves to be much more that the needed one. IT allows the new smartphone to gain incredibly high scores in different benchmarks.
If we would have to point the weakest thing inside the new HTC One S, this would be its 16 GB internal memory which cannot be extended. Even if this amount could seem enough for most of the Android users, a smartphone which comes equipped with Beats Audio sound and tries to impress as a serious media player device, it is kind of hard to make a good impression without an external microSD card. An alternative to this might be represented by the default Dropbox integration.
HTC One S comes with Android 4.0.3 ICS and the 4th version of Sense, the popular interface designed by the Taiwan based manufacturer, too. The most interesting feature here could be the multi-tasking system which has a presentation which reminds us of the Apple’s CoverFlow.
Even if it did not pass too long since HTC One S has been released on the market, the devs on XDA Forum have already found a solution on how to root this Android 4.0.3 ICS smartphone.
HTC One S Root Tutorial
Before going into the actual root tutorial you need to know a few things about this procedure and also what is needed before getting started.
A root on your HTC One S will create a kind of super user account which is needed in order to have access to most of the applications and settings that are locked by default. For example you will be able to overclock the CPU of this smartphone or you could remove all those annoying applications with which HTC One S comes out of the box.
Even if the root of your smartphone is a very simple procedure, you should know that some risks should be taken in consideration. First of all, the warranty of your device might be voided, depending on the conditions that with which HTC One S is being sold in your country. Also, the smartphone could be damaged during this tutorial. The risks are very small if the rooting procedure is strictly followed, but it is our duty to inform you on this. Therefore, it is your entire responsibility if you prceed with this tutorial.
Also, if you decide to drop this root and make your device to be reverted at its standard condition, you can always flash your HTC One S with its official firmware and lock the bootloader (if it has one). That;s the way with which you could get rid of this root.
Things you need in order to root your HTC One S
1. Backup. It is important to make copies of your most important data which is currently saved in your smartphone. During the root tutorial, much important information in your HTC One S could be lost. You can use the below mentioned applications to save the data you have in your phone, as follows:
- We believe that the contacts from your agenda are very important for you, therefore, it would be a great idea to synchronize them with your Gmail application. This application will do the job.
- In order to save all your text messages and to be able to restore them, after finishing the root tutorial, we advise you to use this particular application.
- The videos, pictures and your music should be transferred from the internal memory of your HTC One S to the SD card.
- If you have made some important phone calls lately and you haven’t saved the number, then this appwill do a backup of your call log
- Internet data connection settings, together with the MMS ones, should be written on a piece of paper. In order to find them, go to Applications menu, tap on Settings, enter the Wireless and Network sub-menu, access Mobile Networks and look into the Access Point Names so you could find out what are all your connection settings.
2. Another important aspect of this update with the official value pack tutorial is the availability of your device. It should never stop during this process. Otherwise it would be severely damaged. Therefore, we strongly advise you to recharge its battery completely.
3. Any antivirus which is installed on your HTC One S should now be disabled so it would not interfere with our root process.
4. USB debugging mode should be enabled on your HTC One S in order to be able to install its official value pack. In order to activate this option, you need to access the Settings menu and head to the Application Development sub-menu. Here you will be tapping on ‘USB Debugging’ in order to activate it.
How To Root HTC One S (Android 4.0.3 ICS)
- Superbot utility needs to be downloaded. Click on the following link in order to accomplish this task;
- Shut down Your HTC One S and re-start it in this way: simultaneously hold the Volume down and Power buttons;
- The file that you have downloaded in the first step of this tutorial is in fact an archive. Uncompress it and place its content in a folder on your computer, preferably on your desktop, so you could find it easily;
- Connect your HTC One S to the computer;
- Go to the folder where you have placed the content of the archive and double click on the following file: “install-superboot-windows.bat”. For Mac users, open the terminal application and point it to the folder that contains the extracted content of the above mentioned archive. Insert the following command line: “chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh ./install-superboot-mac.sh”
- If you are using a Linux OS, then open the terminal application of this OS, make sure that its path is set to target the folder that is containing the files extracted in the previous steps and insert the following command line: “chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh ./install-superboot-linux.sh”
- Now the root process of your HTC One S is taking place.
This was the entire tutorial on how to root Android ICS 4.0.3 HTC One S. If you have questions on this tutorial, post them here, by using the comment form provided below.