How to remove programs on Mac OS X is a question I have heard a lot.
We have said a lot of times that Mac OS X is an excellent operating system, offering stability and reliability to its users. We will not continue today to repeat all the excellent features Mac OS X comes with. We will treat an issue which still seems creates problems to many Mac fans: how to remove programs from this OS?
2 Methods for removing programs on Mac OS X
Well, we have two methods: a simple one and a complex one.
The simple method is the most frequent used. But, in fact, it is actually incomplete. First, let’s see what is the process in order to remove programs from Mac OS X, with this method:
- Open the folder were your programs are stored (Applications). Locate the program you want to remove.
- Now just drag and drop the program’s icon to the Mac OS X trash.
As you may observe in the future, the preferences saved in the program you have just removed are still saved on your hard-disk. This is why I suggested that this method of programs removal in Mac OS X is not complete.
The most complex and efficient method you need to apply in order to remove programs on Mac OS X is by using AppCleaner. We recommend this in order for you to be sure you have properly uninstalled a program on Mac OS X.
AppCleaner is totally free and also quick and easy to work with. Also, it is the most efficient software used to uninstall applications, widgets, extensions and program preferences, without leaving any trace.
How to remove programs on Mac OS X using Appcleaner
- AppCleaner has four tabs, each of them containing different functions. On the fist tab called “Uninstall” you can drag and drop the programs you want to remove. AppCleaner will search in Mac OS X for associated software prefpane files. In order to remove them, click on “Delete”. You will be prompted to insert your password. Once validated, the desired program will be removed.
- The second Tab, called “Applications”, works similarly to the first one, except the fact that it displays all of your programs in a list. You can check here the programs you want to be removed from Mac OS X. AppCleaner will show you the files related to the selected for removal program. Click on “Remove” and enter your password if you are asked to do that.
- The “Widget” tab is similar to the “Applications” tab. It displays a list with all your widgets. For those for which the Widget term is unclear, please note that they are those little gadgets embedded in Mac OS X Dashboard. Check the widgets you want to remove, then click on the “Delete” button. Enter your password if it is necessary.
- The last one, “Other” tab contains files or plugins. Components that can be removed. But here, you have to be careful or to have an advanced experience with Mac OS X. Do not remove any file or component from here, if you are not completely sure, because your Mac computer may function un-properly, as these are files used by many other software.
I hope that this tutorial on “How to remove programs on Mac OS X” was useful for you.