Learn in this tutorial how to jailbreak iOS 5.1 A4 devices, using Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 (semi-untethered).
We have just presented yesterday with iOS 5.1 and early this morning we were wondering when the fisrt jailbreak solution will appear. Having in mind that for iOS 5.0 2 months were needed in order to obtain the first jailbreak tool, we were expecting that iOS 5.1 to be jailbroked after a similar period. However, it looks like now it is far less simple to do that, therefore Redsn0w already has presented their new application: 0.9.10b6 is the first jailbreak tool which can be used on iOS 5.1 devices. However these devices should contain A4 chips. Obviously, iPhone 4S and iPad 2 cannot be jailbroked for the moment.
As you might have already expected, this first jailbreak solution, Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 is, in fact, a tethered one. For those which still don’t know what the tethered jailbreak refers, well, find out that after you switch off your iPhone, you need a computer to make it boot again. However, you need to know that the semi-untethered solutions are using a patch which needs to be installed on your device. This will take care of booting the iPhone, so there it will be no need for a computer in order to start the gadget.
These (semi) untethered jailbreak solution are somehow not easy to work with in daily activities but, of course, they are better that a non-jailbroked iPhone.
How To Jailbreak iOS 5.1 A4 Devices With Redsn0w 0.9.10b6?
Before starting with the iOS 5.1 tutorial, you have to know some facts:
- Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 works only on A4 devices. This means that you will not be able to run it on two apple devices: iPhone 4S and iPad 2;
- For Gevey unlocked devices, it is highly recommended that iOS 5.1 official firmware upgrade not to be performed. Please skip this, and focus on the last part of this tutorial;
- Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 for iOS 5.1 jailbreak will be need tethered boot. Therefore, if you decide that this could become an annoying thing for your daily activities, you need to wait for an untethered jailbreak.
- First, you need to upgrade your iTunes program to its last version: 10.5.6. You can use this download link;
- After the download and the installation has finished, make sure you backup all your data in your iDevice, using iTunes;
- Use these download links to upgrade your device to iOS 5.1;
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 for Windows or Mac
- Once the Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 iOS 5.1 jailbreak solution has been installed, you need to open it. In the first screen click on the “Jailbreak” button. Then, you have to select the “Install Cydia” solution”. You will be guided to enter your iPhone in DFU mode.
- The tethered boot: this will happen every time you start your device. In the “Extras” menu from Redsn0w 0.9.10b6, select the following option: “Just boot”. This is needed in order to set a tethered boot on your iPhone.
Semi-tethered boot after the jailbreak of iOS 5.1 has been done
This, of course, is a hybrid solution. You won’t need a computer to boot your device in a tethered way. However, because it’s a hybrid, the Redsn0w utility will need to be used every time you switch off your device and try to srtart it again. In order to get the semi-tethered solution from RedSn0W, you have to head to the already popular BigBoss Repo: http://thebigboss.org/semitether.
As promised, we have a solution for the Gevey unlocked devices, too:
A special .IPSW file is needed for for GEVEY SIM (or Ultrasn0w) unlocked devices, in order to maintain the baseband. In order to obtain it, you have to access the “extras” menu in Reds0w utility and click on “Custom ISPW”. Then you have to head to the iOS 5.1 file and make Redsn0w to act upon it.
Finally, your iPhone needs to be put in DFU Mode (access the following path: Extras, then Pwned DFU). Use iTunes to restore your custom firmware. The GEVEy/ Ultrasn0w unlock can be made now.
I hope that the tutorial on “How To Jailbreak iOS 5.1 A4 Devices With Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 (semi-untethered) was useful for you.