The tutorial on How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone 4/ 3GS using RedSnow 0.9.9b8 is meant for already unlocked iPhones (from factory)
Aplle has released the download of iOS 5.0.1 yesterday. At a very short time from this event, we find out that the jailbreak using the last version of Redsnow 0.9.9b8 is already possible.
WARNING! If you use a Gevey or Ultrasnow in order to unlock your iPhone, this tutorial should NOT be followed. That’s because the new iOS 5.0.1 update will also upgrade your baseband, too, which is not possible to unlock and your iPhone will remain like this. If you need to keep your baseband, you can create a custom firmware using Snowbreeze 2.8b11 tutorial.
This tutorial for jailbreak using Redsnow 0.9.9b8 will be used in case you own an iPhone which has already been unlocked from factory and you have already updated your iOS 5.0.1 through iTunes.
I remind you that this version will just do a tethered jailbreak on your iPhone 4 or 3GS.
How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone 4/ 3GS using RedSnow 0.9.9b8 tutorial
2. Open Redsnow 0.9.9b8 which you have already downloaded earlier. I recommend opening this program using Compatibility mode in Windows Vista/ XP.
3. Select the “Extras” menu and then “Select IPSW” Point Redsnow towards the file you have downloaded earlier (iOS5.0.1.ipsw). click on “back” after the iOS version has been successfully identified.
4. Now, click on the “jailbreak” option.
5. Click on “Next” and prepare yourself to put your iPhone in the DFU mode. follow the instruction on your screen.
6. After your iPhone has been set to DFU mode, the jailbreak process will start automatically. Now you just have to wait until the process ends.
7. In the window that will appear, check “Install Cydia” and click on “next”
8. In this moment you have a tethered Jailbreak on your iPhone. Take care that, immediately after finishing the Jailbreak, in order to start your phone, you have yo connect it to the computer, again. Put it in DFU mode and open Redsnow 0.9.9b8. now select “extras”, then “Just boot tethered right now”. You will have to do this every time you restart your iPhone.
Redsnow iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak facts
The jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 has been released just over a few hours after the new update has been officially released by Apple. The first generation iPad users but also the ones owning an iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4 will be able to jailbreak their devices through the Redsnow 0.9.9b8 solution.
The developers did not need to much time in order to make Apple mad. the Jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 became available on the internet immediately after the official patch has been released by the Cupertino based company. The patch is intended to fix the issues which a lot of iOS 5.0 users have found.
Even if this jailbreak solution for iOS 5.0.1 coming from Redsnow does not work on dual-core Apple devices (iPhone 4S and iPad 2), it is a step forward for the other devices users. They will benefit by the battery life issue fix and by the third party applications which were not available in the official iOS release.