Update: Samsung has released the official version of Android ICS 4.0 for Galaxy S2, go to How to Install/Update Android ICS 4.0 XXLPQ Official Release On Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 for more info.
Samsung is still delaying the Global Official release of Android ICS 4.0.3 for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 and everybody is waiting anxiously. The update is almost here and while some carriers have already rolled out the update, many users are still on Gingerbread, even though their handsets are among the most powerful devices on the market. It might be a while before we get the official release, so meanwhile, we can have a taste of Ice Cream Sandwich if we install the new beta build entitled Android 4.0.3 XXLPJ for Galaxy S2. In the following step by step tutorial we will present to you the right installation process, but you have to keep in mind that this is not the Global Official ICS 4.0.3 release (for which we have no estimated time of arrival yet), it’s just a pretty stable beta build which might contain some bugs.
What you need to know and do before installing Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPJ on your Samsung Galaxy S2:
- note that onebitzero.com will not be held responsible for any damage your handset might encounter while and after you install Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPJ on your Samsung Galaxy S2. Flashing an Android device is not a job for beginners, even though we try to present it as clear as possible, so please continue at your own risk!
- you should charge your Galaxy S2 to 100%, just to be on the safe side
- enable USB debugging on your device by going to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging and checking the box for USB debugging.
- back-up all important data as messages, contacts, multimedia files and internet settings. You should do this by using 3rd party apps from the Android Market as the PC Suites will not recognize the beta firmware once you flash it on your Galaxy I9100.
- turn off all antivirus software
- install the latest USB Drivers for the Galaxy S2 on your PC
- go to Settings > Wireless & Network > USB Settings and tick “Samsung KIES”
- Download XXKJ2 Firmware Package on your computer. It’s 376.9 Mb large, so if you have a slow connection be patient.
- Extract this zip file and double click on the Odin executable file.
- Restart your Samsung Galaxy S2 in Download Mode. To do this, shut down your device, press Volume Down + Center button and, while holding down these two keys, press the Power button. When the phone boots, you should be seeing a green droid in a triangle shape icon, this means that you have entered Download Mode. If you boot in standard mode, repeat the procedure.
- Once in Download mode, connect your Galaxy S2 to your computer. In Odin, the ID : COM section should turn yellow.
- In Odin, click on PDA and select file I9100_CODE_I9100XXLPJ_CL140368_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5, click Phone and select the MODEM_I9100XXLPJ_REV_02_CL1105553.tar.md5 file and finally click CSC and select GT-I9100-MULTI-CSC-OXALPJ.tar.md5. All these 3 files should have been unzipped from the file you downloaded in step 1.
- Click on Start and Odin will Flash your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPJ in maximum 10 minutes. After it finishes and you see the home screen, you need to turn off the phone in order to reboot in Recovery Mode. To enter Recovery Mode, on the Galaxy S2, do Volume Up + Center button, and while holding both keys down, push the Power Button.
- Once in Recovery Mode, select Wipe data/factory reset, Wipe Cache partition and reboot by selecting Reboot System Now.
Once the smartphone reboots, you will see the Ice Cream Sandwich home screen which means that you have successfully installed Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPJ on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100. Enjoy!