Samsung Galaxy ACE is not officially on the list of devices that Samsung is going to update to Android 4.0 ICS and the Cyanogen Mod team is working hard to bring the Ice Cream Sandwich experience to the above mentioned device. At the moment, we’ve got the CM 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 4 custom firmware and we will review today how to flash it on your Samsung smartphone. For the people who are not familiar with the terminology, please note that this is not an official release and should be treated with caution as it will most surely contain bugs.
Here is a list of features that do work on the Cyanogen Mod 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 5 custom firmware:
- multimedia – sound, headphones and games.
- connectivity – GSM, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Wifi signal
- internet – Market, Facebook sync, Gmail, browser, YouTube
- hardware – hardware acceleration, sensors, CM settings, animations, backlight, ICS keyboard
According to the developers, there are not any fragrant issues with this Beta 5 build, thus we don’t have a list of features that do not work.
What you need to know and do before flashing the CM 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 5 on your Samsung Galaxy ACE:
- note that onebitzero.com will not be held responsible for any damage you might do to your device while and after you install/flash CM 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 5 on your Samsung Galaxy ACE. Installing/Flashing an Android device to a new firmware, with Odin, is not a job for beginners, even though we try to write the tutorial as clear as possible, so please continue at your own risk!
- you should charge the battery of your Galaxy ACE to 100%, to be on the safe side.
- follow this path: Settings > Applications > Development and enable USB debugging by checking the box.
- back-up all relevant data on your device. It can be messages, contacts, multimedia files and internet settings.
- install the latest USB Drivers for the Galaxy ACE on your PC.
- root you device as CM 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 5 can be flashed only on a rooted Android smartphone!
How to install / flash CyanogenMod 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 5 on your Samsung Galaxy ACE:
- Download the Beta 5 for Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 (18 Mar 2012) file to your computer.
- Connect your Galaxy ACE to your computer via the USB cable and copy the file that you have just downloaded in the root folder.
- Disconnect the Galaxy ACE from the PC and reboot it into Recovery Mode. To go into Recovery Mode, hold down the Menu Button and press the Power key. If you don’t perform this action correctly you might boot into normal mode, redo the procedure until you get into Recovery Mode.
- Once in Recovery Mode, go to “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and select the Cyanogen Mod 9 Beta 5 Zip file which you have placed in the root folder of your phone in step 2.
- CM 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 5 will be installed / flashed on your Samsung Galaxy ACE and you’ll land again in Recovery Mode. Select “++++ Go Back ++++” > “reboot system now”.
That’s it, if you followed the step by step tutorial, you have successfully flashed / installed Cyanogen Mod 9 ICS Beta 5 firmware on your Galaxy Ace.