This tutorial will teach you how to install (flash) Android 4.0 ICS on Sony Xperia Play.
Sony Xperia Play is an Android smartphone with a powerful hardware configuration and completely equipped with all that is needed in order to enjoy a good online and social experience. Also, it can be considered a hybrid device which combines all the features that are currently offered by the top smartphones with a portable gaming console.
The Sony Xperia Play gaming performances are sustained by the 1 GHz Scorpion CPU, Adreno 205 GPU and 512 MB RAM memory. Having in mind that this device has been designed for gamers, its screen is not really impressive: 4 inches are OK for most of the Android applications but somewhat not too large for a game. The experience we had while browsing the internet and playing a few games with this smartphone has reminded us that the no. 1 problem of this kind of devices is the battery.
Sony Xperia Play works in GSM/ HSDPA 7.2 Mbps networks, ensuring also Wi-Fi connectivity. In its standard package you will also be finding an 8GB microSD card. That’s because you cannot rely on the internal memory space of just 400 MB.
With its shape which looks like it has been inspired by Sony PSP, and with its games that can be played using the 10 special keys, Sony Xperia Play becomes addictive.
The default operating system of this smartphone is Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread. However, Sony has promised that an update to Android 4.0 ICS will come soon.
If you are anxious to make this update, we will show you how to speed up things and install Android 4.0 ICS on your Sony Xperia Play.
How To Flash/ Install Android 4.0 ICS Beta on Sony Xperia Play Tutorial
First of all you should know that we haven’t created this tutorial abut it’s inspired from here. Therefore, we cannot assume any risks if your device might be damaged, data will be lost or the warranty will be voided.
- The first condition for your Sony Xperia Play to be support the new Android 4.0 ICS is to have this firmware: 4.0.2.A.0.42. If it doesn’t, make sure you update to it. It is officially provided by Sony. Don’t start this tutorial without making sure that your smartphone has been updated with this last firmware.
- The bootloader on your Sony Xperia Play needs to be unlocked, now. In order to accomplish this, check the official Sony page which will guide through the rest of this process, here.
- Android 4.0 ICS beta needs to be downloaded, from Sony’s website, too.
- The file that you have downloaded in the above mentioned step needs now to be transferred in the following folder on your PC: fastboot. After doing this, extract the content of this archive in the Android SDK directory.
- With the fastboot utility, make sure you insert the following lines:
fastboot flash boot ..\Fastboot\Xperia_PLAY_ICS_beta\boot.img
fastboot flash userdata ..\Fastboot\Xperia_PLAY_ICS_beta\userdata.img
fastboot flash system ..\Fastboot\Xperia_PLAY_ICS_beta\system.img
The bolded text shall be replaced with the path of each file you have.
6. Android 4.0 ICS will now be installed on your Sony Xperia Play. When this processed has ended, shut down the device and start it, again.
This was entire process through which you can install/ flash Android 4.0 ICS on your Sony Xperia Play. If you have any questions, feel free to use the below mentioned comment form. We will be happy to help you.