This article will teach you how to avoid your Facebook account to be infected with different viruses, threats, malware, malicious software or to be a victim of a scam.
Facebook has become an environment where different viruses and threats can be found. That’s because this social network has become the most popular one. We will show you which are te best protection measures you can take in order to avoid this unpleasant situations.
Most of the time a virus infection on Facebook is being done because of the different users lack of attention, or because they are in a hurry to click on everything they see but also because of different traps which are set up behind various applications that are promising to offer useful things for just a “Like”.
Examples of Facebook viruses, threats malware and malicious software
You will find many Facebook viruses, threats, malware and malicious software because they are spreading in a very fast way towards the friends that you have got on this social network.
- Koobface was one of the first viruses which showed up on Facebook. It was sending an e-mail to different persons on this social network, containing a link to a video. Obviously that was a trap and your account could have been banned.
- Bredolab. This virus was using an old recipe: it was ending you an e-mail in which you were notified that your password has been reset due to some security reasons. Obviously, the new password was placed in an attachment which contained a Trojan.
- Who is following you on Facebook: The most recent example is the virus which is being spread under the shape of an application that is capable of showing users the persons that have accessed their Facebook profile. This virus has appeared in March, 2012 and it is capable of displaying messages in various languages. It also asks users to like its page and also is posting on their walls so it could be spread furthermore.
How To Avoid Facebook Viruses And Threats (Precaution Measures)
In order to avoid your computer or Facebook account to be infected with such of viruses, threats or malicious software, you will have to take into consideration the following simple precaution measures:
- Think well before clicking on a specific link. The natural tendency is to click on any link that looks like it has been sent by a friend of yours. But has it really been sent by a friend? Think if your friend would send it you such a link and also be very careful with small format links (bit.ly, t.co etc.)
- Facebook is displaying a preview of the link so you could easily see what’s in it. Take a good look there. Be careful with the links that you receive on the chat because no preview is available for them.
- Be careful when accessing “amazing” applications. If it’s too good to be true, than it isn’t. the best example is the above mentioned application which is promising you to reveal the persons which have visited your Facebook profile.
- Take a good look at what competitions you sign up. One of the most common method to spread viruses over Facebook is to tell people that they would have the chance to earn an object which is not so easy to get, or it might be expensive (iPhone 4S, for example). Always check who is organizing the competition, if there is an official page behind this event etc.
- Review the permissions you have gave to different Facebook applications. Some of your applications might be able to post on your wall, access your friends list and your contact data. Therefore you have to check your list of apps and delete those that you no longer need.
- Antiscam For Facebook: Bitdefender Safego is a solution proposed by the well-known antivirus producer. This app will protect you against Facebook scams, spam, viruses, threats, malicious software etc.
- The antivirus on your PC is still very effective. Because some of the viruses and malicious software could be downloaded from Facebook right into your PC, it is a great idea to have an antivirus solution installed and updated on your computer.
- If your Facebook account has been infected with viruses, threats, malicious software, malware etc. or if you have been scammed, use the following link in order to report the fraud. It is possible, after accessing this link, that the data and your account to be recovered.
Has this post on “How to Avoid Facebook Viruses and Threats (Precaution Measures)”been useful to you? Do you have any other ideas on how to protect your Facebook account? Let us know by using the below mentioned comment form.