If you are going to use Windows 8 Consumer Preview as soon as it will be made available to the general public, you should make sure that you know how to enable or disable Metro UI in Windows 8 using desktop context menu. This tutorial will show you what are the steps that must be followed if you would like to enable or disable the Metro UI, with just a single click. This guide also comes in hand if you do not want to install any additional registry tweak software.
There are plenty of apps available out there that can help you enable or disable the Metro UI in Windows 8 but the truth is that you will have to always use the application you’ve installed each time that you want to disable or enable the Metro UI in Windows 8.
Fortunately, you can achieve the same result just by modifying or tweaking a little bit the Windows 8 Consumer Preview registry settings. Doing this will add an option to enable or disable Metro UI in Windows 8 using desktop context menu, when you right click.
How to enable or disable Metro UI in Windows 8 using desktop context menu.
Please take into consideration the fact that by applying this tweak to disable your Windows 8 Metro UI you will disable all the new features from Windows 8 (like the Windows Explorer Ribbon or the Start Screen) except for the new Task Manager.
Our website is not responsible for any damages that might happen to your computer if you somehow do not manage to complete the below steps. All the credits for the tweak go to a user on the EightForums, called Shawn.
– Step 1: Download the zip file that you can find on this link and extract its content, in order to enable or disable Metro UI in Windows 8 using desktop context menu
– Step 2: Once you have extracted the contents of the archive, open the folder created and there you will see a Windows registry file called enable or disable Metro UI in Windows 8 using desktop context menu and a script file called Toggle Disable Enable Metro. What you have to do now is to right click on the script file and open its Properties menu. You will see a tab called General which you must select; there you will have to click on a button that is called Unlock and after that close the Properties window by clicking on apply.
– Step 3: Your next move should be to copy the script file to the following folder C:\Windows. If you have not disabled the User Access Control by now, you should click on yes if you are asked about permission.
– Step 4 You can now double click on the Add Disable Enable Metro registry file
– Step 5 When you see the warning message click on the yes button and after that on the OK button. That’s about it, you will now be able to enable or disable Metro UI in Windows 8 using desktop context menu.
If you would like to get rid of the enable or disable Metro UI in Windows 8 using desktop context menu option when you right click, you must use the same link and download the Remove disable / enable Metro registry file.
The full tutorial can be found on IntoWindows.