This tutorial will teach you how to install Windows 8 Consumer Preview from an USB stick. Because it has just been released, you can grab a copy of the Consumer Preview and download it directly on an USB stick.
Last week Microsoft has officially presented the Consumer Preview of Windows 8, making it also available for download. In fact this is just the beta of the famous OS which will be released this summer. The Consumer Preview download was officially announced at WMC, in Barcelona.
Because many of our readers have downloaded already the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, we thought it is a good idea to create an article in which we describe how to install the above mentioned OS. And, since the DVD’s are somehow old fashioned, we thought that the easiest way to accomplish this task is to run the installation from an USB memory stick. Therefore, you need to follow the below mentioned steps in order to quickly install Windows 8 Consumer Preview on your computer (obviously, after the download process has ended).
But before starting with the tutorial, let’s see what are the hardware requirements in order for Windows 8 Consumer Preview to run smoothly on your PC.
- CPU: 1 GHz;
- RAM Memory: 1 GB for 32-bit Consumer Preview version and 2 GB of RAM for the 64-bit version.
- DirectX9 graphic card and 1.0 version WDDM driver;
- 16 GB free space on hard disk for Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32 bit and 20 GB for the 64 bit version. Please note that the download size of this operating system is just 3 GB. However, the above mentioned amounts are needed when the OS will be installed.
Of course an internet connection is required in order to download the Windows 8 Consumer Preview image.
Download & Install Windows 8 Consumer Preview From USB Stick (tutorial)
1. Download the following utility: Windows 7 USB Tool.
2. After the download process has ended you will be provided with a window. Make sure you click on the “Run” button.
3. A few actions are required in order to install this application. basically you have to pass to the next step until the installation has ended.
4. Select the drive on which this utility will be installed.
5. This utility needs that the Microsoft.NET framework to be installed on your system;
6. After the download and installation process of the above mentioned application has ended, open it.
7. You need to head to the folder in which the Windows 8 Consumer Preview image has been stored. Do this using the Source File box. Once you have selected the OS image, click on the “Next” button.
8. Now it’s time to select the USB stick on which you need the Consumer Preview to be stored. make sure you pick the right drive, otherwise important data will be deleted from the wrong memory stick.
9. Click on “begin Copying” button.
10. Once the Windows 8 Consumer Preview has been downloaded into the USB stick you can use it in order to install this OS on your computer. In order to do that, head to the content of the drive and double click on the “setup.exe” application. The installation process will, then, start on your PC.
If you have any questions regarding how to install Windows 8 Consumer Preview on an USB stick or how to download it from the Microsoft server, please let us know, using the below mentioned comment form.