No news from Samsung saying that the Galaxy ACE will be soon officially updated to Android 4.0 ICS and the guys at galaxyics.com have been working hard to bring the Ice Cream Sandwich experience to users of the above mentioned device through CyanogenMod. At the moment, we’ve got the CM 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 8 custom firmware and we will review today how to flash it on your Galaxy ACE S5830 smartphone. For the people who are not familiar with the terminology, please note that this is not an official release and should be treated with caution as it will most surely contain bugs.
Here is a list of features that have been fixed on the Cyanogen Mod 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 8 custom ROM (according to its developers) vs the previous version:
- Wifi should be fully working right now
- YouTube HQ is working, first 5-10 secound of movie can be laggy (will be improved)
- Really, really more free RAM
- Again faster than ever ealier
- new KGSL backport
- new genlock backport
- new adreno framebuffer
- new video decoder in kernel
- improved filesystem cache
- 800MHz is now default CPU clock
- fixed overclocking bugs
- added KSM for even better performance (enabled by deafult, you can disable it in Performance settings)
- fixed IOCTL_KGSL_TIMESTAMP_EVENT errors
- now we are using clean libgenlock
- improved KGSL page table size
Also According to the developers, there are not any big issues with this Beta 8 build, thus we don’t have a list of features that do not work.
What you need to know and do before flashing the CM 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 8 on your Samsung Galaxy ACE S5830:
- note that onebitzero.com will not be held responsible for any damage you might do to your device while and after you install CM 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 8 on your Samsung Galaxy ACE S5830. Installing a custom ROM is not a job for beginners, even though we try to explain the process t as clear as possible, so please continue at your own risk!
- you should charge the battery of your Galaxy ACE to 100%, to be on the safe side.
- follow this path: Settings > Applications > Development and enable USB debugging by checking the box.
- back-up all relevant data on your device: messages, contacts, multimedia files and internet settings.
- install the latest USB Drivers for the Galaxy ACE on your PC.
- root you device as CM 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 8 can be flashed only on a rooted Android smartphone!
How to install flash CyanogenMod 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 8 on your Samsung Galaxy ACE:
- Download the Beta 8 for Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 file to your computer.
- Connect your Galaxy ACE to your computer via the USB cable and copy the file that you have just downloaded in the root folder.
- Disconnect the Galaxy ACE from the PC and reboot it into Recovery Mode. To go into Recovery Mode, hold down the Menu Button and press the Power key. If you don’t perform this action correctly you might boot into normal mode, redo the procedure until you get into Recovery Mode.
- Once in Recovery Mode, go to “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and select the Cyanogen Mod 9 Beta 8 Zip file that you have placed in the root folder of your phone in step 2.
- CM 9 Android ICS 4.0.3 Beta 8 will be installed on your Samsung Galaxy ACE and you’ll get Recovery Mode. Select “go back” > “reboot system now”.
That’s it! if you followed the step by step tutorial, you have successfully installed Cyanogen Mod 9 ICS Beta 8 ROM on your Galaxy ACE S5830.