The success which the Avatar movie gained in 2009 generated a whole new industry” 3D multimedia entertainment. First we have seen a big number of 3D movies. Now a lot of 3D games are trying to put the player in an environment which looks very real.
Even if it passed only 2 years from the 3D boom which covered the entire world, the 3D games industry has gained an accelerated development. Nowadays it can show off with some very popular titles on a very wide range of platforms, because we have 3D games for consoles and 3D games for PC.
You will find in this post some of the best 3D games which are available for each of these platforms. Also, we will offer you some advises for having the best experience while playing this kind of titles.
3D Games for PC
The 3D games for your PC came on the market in 1982 along with Sub-Roc 3D. But the real success followed in 2010, when the larges games producers have decided to release 3D versions of their well known titles.
How to Use the 3D Games for PC
You must know that, in order to play 3D games on your PC, you don’t necessarily need to have a 3D monitor. But it is required to use the 3D technologies which are produced by the graphic cards producers: nVIDIA and AMD.
- nVIDIA 3D Vision is a technology through which you will be able to see stereoscopic 3D images with a some nVIDIA 3D Vision glasses. It is also required to use a monitor which will support the frame rate of 120 Hz. Because these glasses cost around $200, the cheaper option is to use the classic 3D glasses with red and blue lens (they look like the ones you receive in a 3D cinema) and an nVIDIA video card;
- AMD HD3D. This technology has been developed by AMD in order to convert the classic games in 3D format with the help offered by a software application. This technology is compatible with many AMD graphic cards and classic monitors. You will find a complete guide on AMD site.
3D Games for PC
- Call of Duty: Black Ops. this is probably the first popular game which has a 3D version for PC. And this is also one of the best FPS games, in which you will have to play with a lot of types of heroes. They are supposed to end successfully their missions. It is a very exciting game and it will not let you get bored.
- Assassin’s Creed: Revelations. This is a very new adventure release which will walk you through the Roman Empire. The most part of the action takes place in Constantinople but you will also be sseing the Greek Rhodos Island, too.
- Crysis 2 is an FPS in which you will get a lot of action in the New York urban jungle. This game comes also with a great freedom in regards to weapons and skills customization.
With AMD HD3D you will be able to convert a lot of other games to the 3D format: Left 4 Dead 2, Mass Effect 2, Resident Evil 5, Far Cry 2, Mirror’s Edge or World of Warcraft (WoW).
3D Games for consoles
Except the PC versions, there have been released some 3D games for TV, through a console like PlayStation3 (PS3), Xbox 360 etc. Most of the 3D games are available for PS3. If you own a PlayStation3, you have to upgrade to the latest firmware and to use an HDMI 1.4 cable (the only version which is compatible with 3D technology). Of course you will be needing some 3D glasses, too.
So here you will find just a few of 3D games which are available for PlayStation 3:
- Batman Arkham City is an open world action game. Your character is Batman itself and you have to accomplish a series of missions through the Arkham City.
- Assassin’s Creed Revelations. The PC game comes also in a version for consoles. Assassin’s Creed Revelations is an adventure which we will take you in the times of the Roman Empire. Most of the time you will be playing in the City of Constantinople but you will also visit the Rhodos Island, in Greece.
- Killzone 3 is another FPS game but, this time, it is only available on PS3. You will be visiting the Arctic region, the alien jungle or some areas which are affected by nuclear explosions. All of these are available in 3D, of course.
- Resistance 3 is one of the newest releases on the market. You will be trying a lot of new weapons and also the most popular ones which you were using in the previous titles of this series.
- Gran Turismo 5 is the well known racing game developed by Plyphony Digital only for PS3. Now it can be played in 3D, too. You will have an outstanding gaming experience on some of the most popular racing tracks and you will also drive some of the best cars and prototypes in the world.
Last year, some 3D games for Xbox 360 have been released, also. As in the PlayStation 3 situation, here will have the same usual titles, too, but adapted to 3D technology: Batman Arkham Asylum: Game Of The Year: 3D Edition, Thor: God of Thunder, Assassin’s Creed: Revelations or Crysis 2. There are also available some exclusive titles, like Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
3D Games Online
From the 3D Games there are available right now, the online ones are just a few and they are also very weak developed. These games are very elementary and will not draw the attention of the most of the gamers. IF you are still curious to see how they look, we suggest you try Duck Shoot 3D (you will have to shoot some ducks, using your mouse), Shootng 3D (an FPS in which all you have to do is to shoot your opponents, using your keyboard) or Invaders from Space 3D (you are in a space ship and you have to destroy UFO’s which are attacking you).
3D Games will give you headaches
The experience given by a 3D game is marvelous. Bu we strongly recommend you taking care of how much will play in this kind of games. Some people may experience headaches or other similar problems while watching too much 3D content. If you are one of those people you should consider having some brakes from time to time.
Furthermore, some studies have revealed the fact that 5-10% of the world’s population is not able to see 3D images with special 3D eyeglasses.
These are just a few PC, consoles and online 3D games which came on the market in the past year. The good news is that you won’t be needing a special 3D monitor or TV in order to enjoy these effects.